Tuesday 17 September 2013

Breaking the Code

"You damn cheater!!"

That's what my older brother Derek would yell at me when he saw the Game Genie sticking out of our NES. But I was just a kid. I didn't know any better. Some of those games I used to play like Contra and Double Dragon III were really hard!
A big staple in my childhood

Sometimes I needed a little extra help. That's where cheat codes from magazines like Nintendo Power and Game Pro came in handy. Hell, sometimes I would just buy the mag for the cheats! I know a lot of you did the same too. Admit it!


Love the tips and cheats in those old mags

Over time though I started thinking to myself, is it really cheating if you use a code the developers left in? Think about that. They intentionally left in a code that would allow them to play and test certain levels or mechanics in the game without going through the whole thing. 

Is it OUR fault they left those codes in? No. So if I use the Konami code in Gradius to get full weapons is it cheating? I don't think so. Now, take for example the same game, but giving yourself unlimited lives via the Game Genie. Is that cheating? Yes. Why? Because your telling the game something it wasn't ever meant to do.

You're breaking and bending the rules of the game by using an Action Code Replay, or Genie. The developers never had a code in Super Mario Bros. to let you maxi-moon jump into the stratusphere. But they DID leave in a continue code.

I don't know, I'm just sick of people (especially when I was younger) telling me to stop using codes in mags as it was cheating. No way. Using a device, different story. Where do you lie on this matter?

In the meantime, in between time!

-Will ^>^

No comments:

Post a Comment