Thursday 5 September 2013

A Good Gamer?

"Why is it so H-A-R-D!?"

For the past 3 weeks I've been participating in Nintendo Age's weekly NES Contest (and so should you!). It's not only a great way to get involved in the (best) NES online forums on the internet, but share tips, compete, and more importantly, play those other games we never get around to. Dust off time!

The whole contest has really put this new notion into my head. What constitutes a good gamer? Back in the days of the arcades it was all about the high score. In the age of consoles, it was all about seeing the ending. Nowadays its all about the online supremacy (blech!). I've always been a gamer that plays a game to beat it and see the ending. Playing in this contest has shown me how hard it really is to rack up a BIG score with ONLY 3 lives!

That was the big adjustment. How long could I go, how many points could I accumulate before I spent my last life? And let me tell you, when your score resets after using a continue...boy that was a rude awakening. I found myself in level 2-1 in Q-bert amassing a WHOLE 12,00 points. Laughable. 




The arcade heads would have crapped their collective pants at seeing that pissy little score! Making a comeback would be difficult. To quote a fuzzy little green man:"you must unlearn what you have learned .". All of a sudden, knowing the point totals of enemies, power-ups, hidden point icons, and when you earned an extra life at 'X' amount of points was crucial! By the end of the contest for Q Bert, I gained enough tips and skills to reach a score of 50,000+ points. Pretty good for one week of practice! I made top 10 and that put a big 'ol cheesy grin on my face. 




That was just the start to my road as a high score gamer. Next up in line is the current game of the week: Ghost N' Goblins. Yup. You read that right. Ghost N' Goblins. Ghost N' Goblins.
Ghost N' Goblins!

One of the most difficult games on the NES, and we have to get a high score in that game? Do they accept negative scores!? Actually, I've beaten the game plenty of times (2), but never ever would I consider getting a high score. I would have to use at least a dozen or so continues to loop the game ONCE. Now I only had 3 lives to use. Let's just say, its been a fun little challenge!

Anyways, if you were like me and beating only games to see the ending, try your hand at the high score club! Games you thought you were the master of (when you had continues, and saves) could reopen your world and see them in a new light! Before I leave you today, here's a little survival guide to high score gaming. 






Will's Guide to High Score Gaming
  • Know the point values for each enemy, power-up, and hidden or secret point items.
  • Make sure you know when you attain a free life (Example, at 50,000 points you get an extra Arthur)
  • Make sure you can easily remember the locations of secret power-ups or hidden items to help you!
  • If its allowed, farm the beginning levels for maximum points. Die once or twice to amass a nice little score at the start. Hunt for extra lives (if the game has any), or attain them from your score.
  • begin to recognize patterns. Especially the movements of the bosses. You should never lose a life in the first level, stage, or board. Practice, practice, practice!
Hope that helps you on your journey. I don't take credit for any of those tips above. I've learned a lot of sage advise from friends, co-workers and acquaintances over the years.

In the meantime, in between time!
-Will ^>^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment