Friday 2 August 2013

TENGEN: AN EASY SET TO COMPLETE?

I sit down and stare at my bookcase full of games (not books, games people!) and wonder if I'll ever be able to own a complete set. A complete set of anything really. NES, Genesis, SNES....but as I ponder and wonder how my bank account would cry buckets of blood, I saw it. Tucked away at the back. I caught a glimmer of hope. 

TENGEN.

Fly with the best, or die like the rest!

Perfect! I may not be able to sell my own grandpappy down the river for an entire collection of NES games (that's around 800+ games humanoids) but I could for a complete set of Tengen ones (sorry grandpappy!).
Tengen much better known as Atari (yes, THAT Atari) released unlicensed games back in the 80's and early 90's. In total, the catalog reaches about 20+ games. And they are:

  •  After Burner
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Fantasy Zone*
  • Gauntlet
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom*
  • Klax*
  • Ms. Pac-Man*
  • Pac-Man*
  • Pac-Mania*
  • RBI Baseball
  • RBI Baseball 2
  • RBI Baseball 3*
  • Road Runner
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Shinobi*
  • Skull & Crossbones*
  • Super Sprint
  • Tetris*
  • Toobin'*
  • Vindicators
*games marked with this are category (5) (Average) as of NintendoAge.com's rarity guide. All others are (4) and below.

 "Do you like your aliens extra crispy?"

 There is still time for Klax...

"I hope that wasn't a shark that poked my butt!"

Who would have thought that Tengen's (superior) version of Tetris would be a little harder to come by?! Not for all the money in Russia (Rubble). And just because they're unlicensed doesn't mean they're crappy and suck huge balls. Nintendo cranked out plenty of stinkers and even licensed quite a number of them (Ikari Warriors anyone?). 

I really like Gauntlet, Rolling Thunder, Klax, Ms.Pac-Man, and of course Tetris. Check it out. You may be pleasantly surprised by this little (Big) company. While you and I may never have a complete masterwork of NES games, you can be in the minority of the general populace who has a complete Tengen set. ^>^

No comments:

Post a Comment