Monday 5 August 2013

NES GAMES I ALWAYS WANTED

As a young lad I would wake early in the morning and pour my cereal and quietly make my way to the living room. There I would set down the bowl and rush over to the TV and cover the speaker with my hand so it wouldn't wake my parents (whose room was just above, the TV was old and made a loud sound when turned on). There my twin brother Matt and I would exchange turns as one would play, and the other would continue their breakfast.

Marathon sessions of this was tradition. Still is.

This was tradition. This was a way of life. Want to know something else? Another tradition of mine was to think about all the sequels that Nintendo should have made for the NES. I always wanted these games to come out on my all-time favourite system:

  • Punch-Out 2, 3
  • TMNT 4
  • Startropics 3
  • Super Mario Bros. 4
  • Double Dragon 4
  • River City Ransom 2
  • The Legend of Zelda 3 (with silver finish this time!)
  • Battletoads 2
Take for example Punch-Out 2. The original came out in what, '87-'88? The sequel would have been released in '91 easily. My idea for the game is this; have four circuits just like the first one. Load the roster of boxers to 12-14. All of the boxers are new except the champions (have Piston Honda, Bald Bull, and Mr. Sandman as the champs).

Create a 2 player vs. mode. One controls Little Mac, the other player picks one of Mac's rival boxers. Have an 8 man tournament mode when friends come over, hell, make use of the NES Satellite or Four Score 4 player adapters! This time around have a battery save pack in the game so it will save your fastest bouts and progress. Add in at LEAST 2 new knockout punches. And finally, since at the time Mike Tyson wasn't the champ of the real boxing world (and Nintendo probably didn't want to renew their contract), have 3 special "Dream Fights". 

By that I mean, if you meet certain conditions and have excelled enough in the game you can face off against either Link, Samus, or Mario! How effin' cool would that be!? Are you sold yet? Doesn't that sound like a great game (million dollar seller?). Exactly. Even if you had to trim the roster to 10, get rid of Tyson, take out the 2 player vs., and multiplayer tournament modes it still sounds awesome!

Could you have imagined any of those games? I know I have, especially Punch-Out's 3 and 4! I must have dreamed up that one at least a 100 times or so.But any of those games listed above could have came out around '92-'94. And they most certainly would've been great hits (hmm, maybe not Startropics 3?). In any event it was a travesty we never got these installments. But one can always dream can't they? ^>^

No comments:

Post a Comment