Monday 6 May 2013

The Grade

Well so far so good! Around 12 new NES games beaten and going strong. I want to take the time to let you all know how I feel about some of these games. A short grading of some of these first time beats. First off; Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Ugh..not much of an ending.

The game gets a D+. And that's being generous. One of the worst offerings by LJN. Its too bad really because I loved the movie so. But that last boss battle with Judge Doom takes WAY to long. Not only that but you have to finish him off with D.I.P. (an acid to toons) and must fire it off at a blistering speed. We're talking lightning folks! I enlisted the aid of the NES Advantage joystick for its turbo fire capabilities. Blech.

Next up, Capcom's Tailspin:
 Not much of an ending here either.

Final grade: C+. Much better than Roger Rabbit yet, where's the challenge? The last airship fight was cool and all, but I just never felt challenged. Shame really, I loved the cartoon in its heyday. One of Capcom's forgotten games for sure.

And finally. Top Gun.

 Slightly better end than the other two games.

Highway to the Danger Zone? Yes please!

A new favorite in my library. I'm not joking, this is one decent game. But that's just it. Decent. Not good. But decent. Top Gun receives WAAAAY too much flak thanks in (major) part to the Angry Video Game Nerd (James Rolfe). Don't get me wrong his show is just that. A show. A funny take on all of his misadventures as a gamer. One who (simply) couldn't land the plane. 

And that's the major sticking point. The landing mini game after you defeat a boss. The main control indicator even tells you what altitude and speed you should be at by the time your closing in on the aircraft carrier! For god sakes, I can land the plane about 75% of the time! It's not that tough! Funny thing though. I defeated the rocket ship, but crashed the final landing sequence, ha ha ha! Good thing I had an extra life or I would have been pissed. Final grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment