Wednesday 15 May 2013

The N64 snubbed?

"The graphics haven't aged well."

Is a common thing I hear from gaming enthusiasts. Now while I didn't grow up on the N64 (that spot is reserved for my dear Colecovision and NES), I did however spend an ample amount of my teen years playing on the miracle machine. For me I look at the Nintendo 64 as a stepping stone to our current gaming consoles. New gamer's can look down on Nintendo and the supposed 'miracle machine', but the original Playstation is just as bad in comparison.

But where the Playstation excelled at single player games (RPG's, shmups, ), the N64 excelled at multiplay (Racing, Party Games). You had better sound with the PS1, but MUCH faster loading times on the N64. Also Nintendo's first party games were stronger, while Sony relied on heavy hitting 3rd party companies to keep gamer's glued to they're TV's.

Nintendo, Sega, and Sony had to trailblaze into the 3D realm. It was inevitable. And now some 17 years after the N64 lay dormant the proof is in the pudding. The console is one of the most fun you could have. Especially when enjoyed with the company of 3 of your friends. No multitap required!

 The king of multiplayer? I think so!
 Games like Resident Evil 2 look excellent on the N64

 I never imagined that we would ever get a port of RE2 on the 64!

Just remember, to get to our Uncharted's, Gears of Wars, or, (god forbid) our Call of Duties we had to start with Mario 64, the original Rainbow Six, and Goldeneye 007's and Perfect Dark's. So next time you bash the 64 because it looks bland, boring, or just down right ugly...well, stick to the first party games! Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Snap, Majora's Mask, Mario Tennis, Mario Party 1-3, Wave Race 64 among MANY others. ^>^

No comments:

Post a Comment