Friday 2 January 2015

Lousy Legacy? Or Underrated Chump?

Yes the Nerd and the Irate Gamer have painted a bad picture of LJN. The company did deserve the crap it got for releasing games like Back to the Future, Bill and Ted, Uncanny X-Men, Terminator 2 and many others. But, I know deep down inside there's some sparkling gems that were judged way too harshly.

So, here's my favorite LJN games list thing-a-ma-bobber! (And yes, I actually like some of their games. Again, I won't deny that they published a ton of garbage, but some games are playable to good.)

  • Karate Kid
  • Jaws
  • Punisher
  • WWF Wrestlemania Challenge
  • Friday the 13th

I'll even give you a few reasons why I like each game. (In case you were hoping for something like that. I got your back Jack!)


Things I like about Karate Kid:

+Good music
+Excellent looking title screen
+Varied and fun mini games based on the actual property
+Daniel's clothing changes each stage and reflects what he wears in   various parts of the movie
+I enjoy beating the crap out of mooks with Crane Kicks and        Drum Punches
+Short Game. Can be beat in under 12 minutes. I like that








Things I like about Jaws:

+Game has nice graphics
+I like shooting sharks and jelly fish in the face
+Decent Music
+Nice ending scene
+Collecting shells in exchange for upgrading your boat is not only    hilarious, but cool
+Stabbing Jaws with the boat is F'N SWEET
+Again, another short game which makes me feel like I  accomplished something at the end of the day







Things I like about The Punisher:


+Nice graphics
+Cool shooting mechanic
+Satisfying kills
+You can shoot the Sax Guy
+Environment can be utterly destroyed
+Hidden Secrets
+Love the hand to hand fighting








"I'll be kicking back punching Kingpin in his fat face."



Things I like about Wrestlemania Challenge:

+Awesome roidy-maggoo pic of Ultimate Warrior on the title  screen
+Cool looking sprites
+Theme music for each wrestler
+All the various modes
+Some wrestlers have their actual finisher
+Outside brawling and tag team cheating
+Macho King Randy Savage





Things I like about Friday the 13th:

+Nice graphics
+Tons of items and weapons
+Hidden secrets
+Good challenge
+Each character has strengths and weakness'
+You can fight the severed reincarnated head of Ms. Voorhees
+Short game so you can play something else after. Or eat food,    whatever, I don't judge









So there you guys have it. My little list of some of my favorite LJN games. While you may find better things to do with your time, I'll be kicking back punching Kingpin in his fat face. Or, stabbin' a dead head with a machete. Either way LJN gets picked on way too much in the video game community. Thank god for youtubers like BenevolentDick, and The LJN Defender. They grew up with some of these games I mentioned, and yeah I have heavy nostalgia for Friday the 13th. I grew up playing it. But even when I did have Mario, Zelda, Bionic Commando, I still came back to Friday. That's one LJN game worth fighting for. Is it perfect? No. But neither are you. OOOOOOOOOOOH!

-Will ^>^

No comments:

Post a Comment