Thursday 5 January 2017

Games Thrashed: 2017 Edition

Well it's that time once again to tackle another assortment of NES games. Last year was a decent year. With 10 new game completions, I did a lot better than 2015's offerings (at only 7). Okay, so a new year with new challenges.

The rules are simple: beat as many nes games that I have never completed before.

I've been attempting to beat Star Soldier, but come up short at the 10-11 stage mark. The game has a total of 16 levels. The farthest I've ever made it was 13 (and from then on it's quite the fight). I have also been looking into Conquest of the Crystal Palace and Kung-Fu Heroes. Most likely I'll be collecting a few other games to add to my collection for the challenge.

One more thing. You may have noticed on my last Games Thrashed: 2016 Edition, that I would do a write up of my thoughts on those games that I beat. Underneath some of those entries I would put "Retro Game of the Year Nominee." Well, here it is!

I've played this game since I was about 7 years old. Last year I finally put it to rest! Awesome game with great music and graphics.

JANUARY:


Palamedes is a wonderful dice puzzle game. You play it much like poker making matches, runs of 3 to 6. It is an excellent two-player head-to-head game. The graphics are cutesy and the music is terrific. You also get a 1 player tournament mode. This is how you get the ending to the game, and let me tell you, it's no cake walk. When people want to know my opinion of the best NES puzzle games, Palamedes will now be on my list.

"Retro Game of the Year Nominee."

APRIL






























Next day I go and wallop Kung Fu Heroes. I wonderful two player co-op game. Decent cutesy graphics, with nice controls and good gameplay. Underrated game for sure. Pick it up if you don't have it. Did I mention I spent well over the course of a day trying to beat this sucker? I thought my NES was going to overheat!


Underrated and such a great game. Tengen has quite the nice lineup of arcade games. So anyways, I finished this one off while not really trying! Retro Matt and I started off a 2-Player game. He game overed at level 3 and I just kept going on. Made it to the last area (ship 6) and thought the game was done. Nope, there was a 7th level. King Core boss fight. Was easy enough to beat it too!























No comments:

Post a Comment